Working on Trillium Property

Any company or municipality wishing to work on Trillium Railway property must have a Work Permit issued by Trillium prior to the commencement of work.

No work is to be performed unless work permit has been received and signals and flagging protection has been arranged. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Please print out and fill in our Work Permit form.

The completed form along with a cheque for the permit fees, and the necessary documentation, can be mailed to us or dropped off at our corporate office at 265 King Street, Port Colborne, ON.

After submission, Trillium will complete the form and return the executed permit application.

A flagman is required anytime any work is performed on or near Railway property within ten meters / 33 feet of the nearest rail of the railway track. The Railway, however, also reserves the right to require a flagman for work on Railway property, which is more than ten meters (33') from a railroad track, when there are other conditions, or considerations that would dictate the need for a flagman to safeguard the Railway's operations, property and safety of working personnel.

Current cost for a flagman is $800 for an 8 hour day and $125 an hour above 8 hours.

Cable locates of Railway owned facilities may be required to identify and protect Signal & Communication cables that have been installed to provide power, signal control, wayside communications. These cables are vital to a safe and reliable railway operation. The contractor is responsible for locates of all other utilities, including but not limited to water, hydro, gas, telephone and fibre optics.

Cost for a cable locate is $250.00, which is to be pre-paid before installation is to begin.

Outside contractors are prohibited from driving on, along, or across any track that does not have a Trillium installed crossing. They may utilize an existing public crossing. The practice of allowing rubber tired equipment to operate over track with no crossing has been banned. Any crossing of Trillium track by steel tracked equipment requires protective measures to be used to ensure there is no contact between the tracks and the rail.

All excavations on Railway property require prior approval.

Utility Crossings

In Canada, under the Canada Transportation Act, municipalities or utility companies wishing to construct a utility (pipe or wire) crossing under or over a railway line no longer need to obtain an order from the CTA authorizing construction. Instead, the party is expected to reach a negotiated agreement with the railway covering all construction and maintenance issues, including cost apportionment.

The process for constructing a utility (pipe or wire) crossing under or over a Trillium Railway line is detailed in the Trillium Railway - Guide to the Pipe and Wire Process

Please read this document thoroughly before submitting anything to Trillium Railway.


Initial Intent to Construct Pipeline Crossing
Initial Intent to Construct Wire Crossing

Crossing Specifications

Electrical and Communcations Cabling
Oil, Gas, Water and Sewer Piping

Construction of New At Grade or Separated (overhead or subway) Crossings

Similarly to pipe and wire crossings, Road authorities wishing to construct a new at grade or separated crossing are expected to reach a negotiated agreement with the railway covering all construction and maintenance issues, including cost apportionment. Please contact Trillium for our submission requirements for these types of crossings.

Make Contact

All inquires regarding pipe, wire and grade crossings and work permitting should be directed to